2016-04-18

MxMo CVIII: Swizzles // Singapore Express



It's Mixology Monday again and the theme for April is Swizzles. I like it! Mr. Frederic Yarm, of the Cocktail Virgin Slut blog, is hosting the event, so head over there and read the announcement post before bringing out your baton lélé (or barspoon or whatever gets your drink really cold).

I like swizzles and I like making them for Mixology Monday because, erhm, the Swedish language doesn't really have a good verb for this mixing technique. Not to repeat myself too much from last month's event, I opted for a rumless swizzle this time. 
I have a love-hate relationship with the Singapore Sling (the 70's formula). It centainly has a nice combination of flavors but, in my opinion, it all just drowns in all that pineapple juice. And, man, that drink is huge.
The Singapore Express is a Singapore Sling (sans the soda water), but it's tighter, scaled down and, of course, swizzled. With drastically less pineapple juice and higher ABV gin it stays rich in taste as the ice slowly melts. I also cut back on the Cherry Heering a bit, which I feel is a little too prominent in the Singapore Sling
And no, I don't own a true Martinique wooden swizzle stick or even a fake one. But I do have a few of those metal straw spoon thingies that comes cheap beginner's shaker sets and, guess what, they are great for swizzling!


Singapore Express

1 oz. navy strength gin
¾ oz. lime juice
¾ oz. pineapple juice
¼ oz. Cherry Heering
¼ oz. Bénédictine
¼ oz. Cointreau
tsp. grenadine
dash Angostura Bitters

Combine in a tall glass packed with crushed ice and swizzle until glass is frosty. Garnish with pineapple.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...